During the home inspection process, the home inspector will be opening and operating almost everthing in the house. Make sure that all utilities are on: water, electric and the gas with pilot lights on. Ensure that all light fixtures have working bulbs. It is also advisable to do as many of the following as possible:
1. Test and replace all smoke detector batteries as needed.
2. Change all filters for the HVAC system.
3. Remove all stored items and debris from around the foundation.
4. Move all items from around access panels including: electric panels, plumbing access panels and the crawlspace access.
5. Make keys available for all doors and locks.
6. Remove locks from gates and service panels so they can be opended.
7. Remember that all stored items in attics, closets and crawlspaces will limit the inspectors view, you might want to remove them.
8. Trim all trees and bushes away from the house.
9. Provide copies of all recent repairs and maintenance done to the house, it's roof, HVAC system and appliances.
10. Repair minor known defects, loose/damaged gutters, leaking faucets, damaged fixtures and hardware.
11. If at all possible it would be best if any pets could visit a friend or neighbor or placed away from the house.